Binaural beats therapy is a new form of sound therapy that is being implemented these days. This therapy makes use of the principle that the right and left ear each receives a slightly different frequency but the brain perceives it as a single one. Binaural beats are considered as auditory illusions.
The advocates of this type of therapy believe that it is used to effectively treat anxiety, stress and other disorders. It is a self-help treatment where you can listen to some audio recordings on your own headphones.
How do they work?
The audio tones should have frequencies lower than 1000Hz so that our brain can detect the binaural beat. For example, your left ear is hearing a beat at 115Hz while the right ear is hearing 125Hz, this frequency difference of 10Hz will be detected by the brain. Your brain will receive a tone at 10Hz then.
The main principle behind binaural beats is a natural phenomenon that occurs within the brain. Both our ears hear different frequencies through headphones. When the brain receives two different frequencies, it interprets both these frequencies in a single rhythmic one which is called the binaural beats.
The subsequent frequency that the brain perceives is the difference between the two frequencies that each ear hears. This is also called the frequency following response (FFR) which is a well-known science that’s been around for centuries.
It has been proven that listening to binaural beats for some time can influence one’s behavior and sleep cycles. We’ve discussed some of the different patterns used in binaural therapy below:
- Delta pattern: These operate between frequencies of 0.5-4Hz and are linked to dreamless sleep. According to a study, delta pattern binaural therapy puts people in a deeper sleep which was tested using an electroencephalogram.
- Theta pattern: The frequencies in this form of therapy lie between 4-7Hz. These frequencies have proven to improve meditation and sleep in the REM phase. It also results in better creativity of a person.
- Alpha pattern: The frequency ranges from 7-13Hz in this pattern and promotes relaxation in sleep.
- Beta pattern: Beta pattern binaural beats consist of frequencies between 13-30Hz. Beta pattern is helpful in improving concentration and alertness.
- Gamma pattern: The range of gamma pattern is between 30-50Hz. This pattern keeps a person fully awake.
Binaural therapy is used to treat different conditions in people. Sometimes, it may be used for decreasing anxiety, deepening the level of meditation and increasing concentration. The potential benefits of binaural therapy include:
- Stress and anxiety reduction
- Improved focus, concentration, and motivation
- Enhancing confidence
- Improved long term memory (mainly due to beta pattern frequencies)
- Better and deeper level of meditation
- Improvement in overall mood and enhanced psychomotor performance
- Boosts creativity in individuals
- Helps in pain management
How to use binaural beats
A person will need to have headphones and a music player. The audio can then be played for a specific period of time recommended by the expert.
If you are interested in binaural beats you can also check this page:
Franco defines itself as a person trapped in a sedentary lifestyle, however, he is an avid fitness “addict” and like, many more in his environment spends vast parts of his leisure time on a gym, running, cycling.